Sunday, January 6, 2008

It's a New Year

It's been raining for the past few days, continuing today, but I managed to have no raindrops during my walks to and from church this morning. The air was cold and clean-smelling, and felt cleansing as I breathed it in. It felt like a good start to a new year.

I know, I know, it is January 6th. But I missed my traditional start-to-the-year this year (watching the Parade and visiting the floats - which reminds me it's been a couple of years since we've been in town for that and the kids might not remember it anymore) since for some reason Grandma's town's TV coverage of the Parade is pathetic and incomplete despite the fact that they, too, have a Festival & Parade and you would think they of all citizenries would appreciate it. This morning's service was Epiphany, the last of the twelve days of Christmas. The church had all of the Christmas decorations up and the wise men have appeared at the Nativity scene. We sang "We Three Kings," "O Little Town of Bethlehem," and the kings-related verses of "The First Nowell." Our exit hymn was "City of God," so we can put away the Christmas music and focus now on Ordinary Time. Walking back home after this service, breathing in the washed-clean air, it really felt like an end to the Christmas season and a start to a fresh new year.

Big Girl and Middle Girl return to school in the morning, and maybe I am feeling up to being back in the school schedule. Maybe. Maybe?

No comments: