Tuesday, January 29, 2008

60 Months

Dear Middle Girl,

Just as you did five years ago today, you make the sun shine in my life. Your joie de vivre was evident early on, as you were a lively dancer even in mommy's tummy. After your birth, during which you treated mommy well, you were holding up your head and looking around the hospital room: "well, hello, mom and dad, where's the party?"

You are a social girl, much preferring being with people over being alone. At school, you are focused on friendships and who is playing with whom each day. You find it difficult when a friend wants to play with another child. You have always had a talent for making friends quickly. Ms. J in Room 6 two years ago was so impressed that despite being the youngest in the class, it was you who befriended the children who were having trouble adjusting to preschool. I think it is your smiling eyes that make people feel special.

You have a bit of the devil in you, though. You often have a look on your face that says, "I've got something up my sleeve!" And at least once a day, you just can't help yourself when it comes to getting a rise out of Big Girl or The Boy.

You are getting pretty good at the alphabet, including knowing what sound each letter makes. If I read you a book, you can pick out the words after I say them. (For example, I say "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish," and you say "That word is Fish, that one is Two and that one is Blue!" because you recognize the sounds they start with.)

You love puppies, horses, princesses, fairies, gymnastics and dancing. You can spend long periods of time playing make-believe, either with toys or with dress-up. I like watching you make up stories with your play houses and hearing what the little figures say.

You have a special affection for babies. When you see a baby, suddenly you can't see anything else. You get quiet and focused on the baby and can just look at her for as long as she'll let you. You find it hard to resist putting a pacifier in her mouth or giving her a toy to hold, but you'll content yourself with just giving the baby friendly looks if you need to. You have always felt this way about babies, which is really fortunate since you had a baby brother at such a young age.

When you giggle, I can't help but be happy. I love snuggling with you and sharing a giggle. For you, they come from way down deep inside you in your basic core of merriment and vivacity. When I hear that sound, I can feel my spirits lifting. My peanut, you truly make the world a better place.

No comments: