Monday, January 21, 2008

Why I Don't Home School

Big Girl has a science assignment: Transparent, Translucent, and Opaque. I asked her to please read me the instructions. "Have your child hold various items from around your household in front of a sunny window. Discuss how much light comes through each item. Put each item in your chart under either "All (transparent)," "Some (translucent)," or "None (opaque)."

Then I said, "Okay, BG, go collect some things." "No, I want you to do it," said BG. "And I want you to hold them up to the light, too," she added. "No," I said, "this is your assignment and it says for the child to do it." "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!" she shouted. "WHY DOES THE CHILD HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING???!!!"


Epilogue:
I told her that it is fair, since she is the student, after all, the one doing the learning. But she yelled some more about how the child has to do everything, and then stomped around the house for a while muttering about how the child has to do everything.

Eventually she came to me with a bunch of items and I sat by the window with her while she held them up and we talked about the light coming through.

No comments: