Friday, August 29, 2008

Marbles, where are you?

Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with me!

Last year at this time, a volunteer position was foisted onto me without any warning. "You're coordinating the program, and you need to make instruction manuals and hold a training session in the next 2-3 weeks." Um, wha?

So anyway, I did coordinate the program last year, and I did a tremendous job and seriously impressed the people who foisted the job on me. "You're awesome!" was said to me many times during the school year.

At the end of the school year, I told them that I would be willing to do the job again "if they needed me to."

But I'd prefer to be just one of the volunteers, not the coordinator of the volunteers.

Today I found out that one of my volunteers from last year will be coordinating this year. Great news! I am off the hook!


So how come a tiny part of me feels a little put out? My brain, she is a weirdo.


We all like to feel needed, indispensible... Don't we? No, just li'l ol' insecure me?


So, I'm back from my MONTH LIVING AT MY PARENTS' HOUSE in Portland. The computer situation up there went from bad to worse and no blogging was done.

Except for one dead houseplant and a pile of mail on the coffee table, The Hubby held down the fort here quite capably.

The girls did not want to leave Oregon, just like always. The Boy, though, began to miss his Daddy, his bed, his cat, and his friend S. about halfway through our time up there.

I've been home since Tuesday afternoon, and here's what I have done since then:

  • Unpack everything by Tuesday night (oh except for that one shopping bag on the counter).

  • Swim in the pool in our backyard! We missed swimming!

  • Watch all of the "Project Runway" episodes that I missed. (The quick reaction: Keith, you done got yourself kicked off. Man, never design for someone else, stay true to your aesthetic!)

  • Take The Boy to the dentist. (Oh, Huzzah and Glory Be, he actually opened his mouth and let them clean his teeth! This could not have been more of a 180 from 6 months ago, when we could NOT get him to sit in the chair OR open his mouth and there was A LOT of crying. The dentist ended up giving up that time! This time, The Boy was more cooperative and quieter than either of his sisters ever were! I was one proud mama, and a little shocked! Out of my mouth flew a lot of "I'm so proud!"s and "You did a great job!"s)

  • Big Girl arranged a playdate for herself. I had to drive across town at 6:00 to pick her up.

  • Went to Old Navy to get socks for all three kids (we need a complete sock overhaul around here), only to find that they no longer have the right kind of socks nor sell them in economy-size packs like they used to. Unless this particular O N's employees are clueless.

  • Had a slew of kids over for a big playdate extravaganza. Including lunch.

  • Four words: Neighborhood. Water. Balloon. Fight. With the attendant Water Balloon Filling session. (All the kids were so cute! Especially the part where they had a contest to see who could pick up the most balloon shards. They got the neighboorhood cleaned up lickety-split.)

  • Hair appointments made!

  • More playdates (in fact, there's one happening here RIGHT NOW).

  • Read approximately 350 blog posts to try to catch up with y'all!


Coming Up:

So, How Was Oregon?


smalltownmom said...

Welcome back!

Jason said...

I was beginning to wonder if you were ever coming back! Sounds like you've been way busy.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

At least your husband picked up the mail. I came home from a ten day trip to find a note in my mailbox to come pick it up at the post office because it was so full they couldn't fit anymore in there.

I had reminded him to feed the dog I guess I should have suggested he check the mail a time or two.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!