Monday, August 4, 2008

update from Oregon

It's been really difficult getting online in Oregon. Being at my parents' house for a month is kind of like camping; camping in a great big house. There's no cable TV (we'll be watching the Olympics soon, so that's okay, but I miss my Project Runway! The home TV is Tivo-ing it), only dial-up internet access (can you say S-L-O-W? can you say F-R-O-Z-E-N?), and my dad does not believe in turning on the air conditioning. Ah, but the kids love being with their grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles -- they can't get enough -- so it's all worth it to be sure.

I've been writing down my thoughts each day on these puzzles that I like to do when I'm at my folks' house.



We ended up doing the whole drive in one day. We left at 7:30 am and got there at 11:30 pm. A 16-hour travel, including stops for potty and meals. It was the first time we used the headphone system for our DVD player! The kids couldn't really wear the headphones until now! Movies, books, and ...


Thus far in our Oregon visit, the main event has been visiting with the cousins! We went to see the brand-new nephew, 5 days old. My sister-in-law was holding her new baby (her third boy) and I was overcome with a wave of postpartum memories. I went over to where The Hubby was standing for a hug, and to my surprise, when he hugged me I started crying. Hmmm. I didn't know that would happen. I don't cry easily, but I guess it really hit me that I'm done having babies!




I have also been enjoying my niece, who is now 10.5 months old. I haven't seen her since Christmastime, when she was 3.5 months old and a lot less social!


Ack! Gotta go, that's it for now!

5 comments:

smalltownme said...

I love your sleeping angels in the back seat.

blackbird said...

I get a little pang just looking at that baby...in fact, it's a great looking bunch o'kids!

calicobebop said...

I love the picture of the sleeping girls! It's amazing how kids can fall asleep in any position, isn't it?

Tootsie Farklepants said...

We did the drive from Oregon back to LA in one day when my parents were living up there for a year. That's a long trip.

JCK said...

Hope you are enjoying the time in Oregon. Aren't headphones the best!?

I'll look forward to hearing more when you come back.